Legislation involving the TH&B
The following list was given to me (and promptly lost in the
piles of paper in my office at home) by Wally Major in 1989. He'd
gathered this for publication in the Early Canadian Railways SIG
(which may still be active).
- Statutes of Ontario 1884, c.75
- Incorporates the Toronto, Hamilton & Buffalo Railway Company to build from Toronto, via Hamilton, to the International Bridge over the Niagara River; prohibits amalgamation, sale, or pooling arrangements with any other railway company
- Statutes of Ontario 1890, c.126
- Authorizes the TH&B to lease its line to the Michigan Central Railroad Company or to the Canada Southern Railway company.
- Statutes of Canada 1891, c.86
- Declares the TH&B's works to be for the general advantage of Canada; authorizes the TH&B to lease to or amalgamate with the Brantford, Waterloo and Lake Erie Railway Company.
- Order of the Privy Council 1892-2934 (Dec. 16)
- Approves amalgamation of the BW&LE Railway Company with the TH&B under the name of the latter.
- Statutes of Ontario 1897-98, c.60
- Confirms an agreement between the TH&B and the Hamilton and Dundas Street Railway Company regarding connections and facilities in Dundas.
- Order of the Privy Council 1914-3183 (Dec. 24)
- Approves amalgamation of the Erie and Ontario Railway Company with the TH&B under the name of the latter.
- Statutes of Canada 1915, c.57
- Confirms the amalgamation of the Erie and Ontario Railway Company with the TH&B under the name of the latter.
- Statutes of Canada 1916 c.50
- Confirms traffic agreements of the TH&B with the Michigan Central Railroad Company, the Canada Southern Railway Company, the New York Central Railroad Company, and the Canadian Pacific Railway Company.
The TH&B was also mentioned in connection with railway subsidies in the following pieces of legislation:
Statutes of Ontario 1889, c.83
Statutes of Ontario 1893, c.60
Statutes of Canada 1893, c.62
Statutes of Canada 1895, c.66
Statutes of Ontario 1895, c.68
Statutes of Canada 1896(1), c.39
Statutes of Ontario 1896, c.110
Statutes of Canada 1903, c.197
Statutes of Canada 1905, c.72
Statutes of Canada 1917, c.58
Statutes of Canada 1918, c.57
Statutes of Ontario 1932, c.72
Statutes of Canada 1947, c.81
Last Modified: August 31, 1997